Thursday, April 29, 2010

M.I.A, "Born Free" explained




He Leon, sorry if that videoclip offended you. But just in case you think its just a violent gimmick; it isn't, its a very very smart albeit controversial piece of political activism.

Its social commentary on the hegemonic state targeting a minority. Using 'gingers' is a master stroke. It exposes the normal-ness of the minority being oppressed and the the inhumane mentality of the oppressors. It has already been taken down off youtube and I'm pretty sure America is going to loose its love affair with M.I.A.

I think that this is more a dig at the Middle East condition, like its focusing upon the Palestine/Israil war. Maybe the political unrest in Pakistan at the moment? But read the lyrics of the song and she's actually completely and un-subtly ripping into the Post Modern Condition:




Whooo!
Yeah man made powers
Stood like a tower higher and higher hello
And the higher you go you feel lower, oh
I was close to the end staying undercover
Staying undercover
With a nose to the ground I found my sound

Got myself an interview tomorrow
I got myself a jacket for a dolla
.............
And the car doesn't work so I'm stuck here
Yeah I don't wanna live for tomorrow
I push my life today
I throw this in your face when I see ya
I got something to say
I throw this shit in your face when I see ya
Cause I got something to say

I was born free (born free)
I was born free (born free)
(bo-bo-born free ....)

You could try to find ways to be happier
You might end up somewhere in Ethiopia
You can think big with your idea
You ain't never gonna find utopia
Take a bite out of life make it snappier yeah
Ordinary gon super trippyer
So I check shit cause I'm lippyer
And split a cheque like slovakia

Yeah I don't wanna live for tomorrow
I push my life today
I throw this in your face when I see you
I got something to say
I throw this sh!t in your face when I see you
Cause I got something to say

I was born free (born free)
I was born free (born free)
I was born free (born free)
(bo-bo-born free ....)
Ooooh

I don't wanna talk about money, 'cause I got it
And I don't wanna talk about hoochies, 'cause I been it
And I don't wanna be that fake?, but you can do it
And imitators, yeah, speak it

Oh Lord? whoever you are, yeah come out wherever you are
Oh Lord? whoever you are, yeah come out wherever you are
And tell em!

Born free (born free)
I was born free (born free)
I was born free (born free)
(bo-bo-born free ....)


I mean even MTV, the masters of reality tv shows, misogyny and advertising rhetoric, are advocating it: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1637769/20100426/mia__4_.jhtml

http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/509318/mias-born-free-music-video-brutal-yet-important.jhtml

Read here for more info: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/pda/2010/apr/28/mia-bornfree-youtube

2 comments:

  1. i think i understood the video's sentiment. and i do admit that it does make a provocative social critique. but i think no matter what statement people are trying to make, they should be careful how readily the use things like gore and other shock tactics. im not saying they shouldnt use them at all, its just the last thing that i would want to see is people become desensitized to it. (i spose that's all ready happening in video games) I think every time someone uses something like this to get across a point it loses some potency. if this is normalised what boundries are there left to push? in this sense i disagree with (wa it baudrillard?) who suggested that shocking images are the only way to disrupt the spectacle? I think, unfortunately they're commodified just like everything else. I wish there was, and am trying to think of a way you can use to motivate people without shock tactics, i think it might lie in critical thinking and easily conveyable arguments, but then who will listen? anyway, that's my thoughts.
    and dont worry, i know you didnt mean to offend me, and maybe the people had good motives, but i want to believe there are other ways to go about these things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Leon, to a point. But ask your self this: Does it really matter that it is shocking or does it matter that this is a representation of whats actually happening in this world?

    The problem is that it is both shocking and true. I could go so far as to say that it is not gore; it is truth, it is not shock tactics; it is truth. Granted it may be a bit of a visual hyperbole, but on the other hand to deny the horrors of the world is to be nihilistic. This video clip is not saying "celebrate gore and violence and oppression and the stupidity of hate" its saying denounce it, do not align yourself with it, do not pull a trigger on a gun pointing a child's head. The only thing being normalized here is the reality of the human condition. To deny this video clip as being and positive thing on the grounds that using shocking images and gore is not right is to claim that it is an injustice to speak of an injustice.

    I wrote the following when commenting on Roland Kelt's article on Hentai:

    "What is with modern society's fixation upon getting rid of taboos anyway? Surely we can see by now that western society just mines humanities instinctively shameful desires for all its worth and then leaves us to wallow in/celebrate our weakness's. "

    So I want you to know that I agree with you when you pit yourself against desensitization. But this is not desensitization, its realization. This is not a hollywood movie staring Bruce Willis. To be honest Pandora's box was opened on violence during our very formation. I read a highly regarded book last year called "Demonic Males: Apes and the history of Human Violence" and it was an eye opener; we are very violent and always have been. It is only a relatively modern phenomenon that we are so guarded from violence (despite globalization). For example: the Colosseum was still operating well into the 6th century. Gruesome death for the whole family!!! (the roman empire had houses with under floor heating and flushing toilets over 2000 years go).


    I think the fact M.I.A. is signed to a major label means that shes already gone down the route of dominant co-optation. She has hijacked the music industry to communicate messages aimed at creating awareness of the plight of the world. It makes sense for her to use extreme messages.

    Is "Super-size Me" an advertisement for McDonalds or is it a documentary criticizing Mc Donalds? Is this video clip advocating oppression, shocking images and hate? or is it a video clip criticizing oppression, shocking images and hate?

    ReplyDelete