Monday, April 12, 2010

WHY?





I was talking to my flatmate about why we should change society and try to save our world from ecological and economic collapse at mighty mighty the other night, we had to yell, which suited me fine because I was a bit drunk and was... wanting to passionately deliver my opinions, ha. She said that to be honest she wouldn't mind if humanity crumbles, that we kill the earth and everything starts again and that maybe we should'nt do anything and just enjoy the time we have.

I responded with "Okay yeah sure, but tell that to your kids". Then she just didn't say anything for like five seconds and just shook her head, shrugged her shoulders and said "Okay yeah nah... Where do we start?"

I told her that I had no idea where to start, that the problem seems to huge... but that she could start doing what I'm doing and try to promote this attitude to her peers in the hope that they will do the same. That we should start by communicating our attitudes and opinions when ever possible, that we can't be social chameleons when it comes to what we know is right and wrong, that we must disassociate ourselves as much as possible from anything that preys on human weakness (the discussion sprung from an argument about morally adverse pop music), that we must not only stick to our opinions and be proud of them, but realize that having sound opinions and attitudes is an iterative process, that we should promote critical thinking and understanding. I said all of this less eloquently of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment